June 5, 2017
Manila Shimbun cameraman Crisanto Balleta was in Marawi City from May 25 to 29, 2017. Here are scenes taken at the frontlines during this period.
As of writing, May 31 2017, the armed forces
reports that two bridges leading to the center of Marawi City, which were previously held by the Isis-inspired Maute Group gunmen have been retaken by soldiers.
More than 100 people have been killed in the week-long fighting, 65 of them terrorists, 19 civilians and 20 soldiers and policemen.
The gunmen are still holding an undetermined number of hostages including a Catholic priest, teachers, and other Marawi residents and workers.
Estimates of evacuees from Marawi City have range from 60 to 90,000 people, many of whom have taken refuge in the homes of relatives and friends in Iligan City and neighboring towns in Lanao del Sur province.
Text by: Virgilio Galvez
Video: Cris Balleta
Editor: Cris Balleta
Executive Producer/Publisher : Toshihiko Uriu
Executive Editor / Head, News Video Production: Virgilio Galvez
Supervising Producer: Onin Tagaro
– Check our website: http://www.manila-shimbun.ph
– Check our website: http://www.manila-shimbun.com
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manila.shimbun
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/manilashimbun
– manila shimbuntv
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.
- Duterte invites Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako to visit Philippines
- MARAWI: Two years after the war
- Comelec proclaims 12 Senate winners; Cynthia Villar tops race
- ACT-CIS, Bayan Muna, Ako Bicol, Cibac, Ang Probinsyano lead partylist race in PPCRV, Comelec, counts