October 23, 2019
The Japanese envoy to Manila honored world champion Filipino gymnast Carlos Yulo in ceremonies at the ambassador’s residence here.
The 19-year old Yulo is the first Filipino gymnast to win the gold in the floor exercise final at the world artistic gymnastics championships. He had earlier qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics by placing 10th in the all-around final competition and 18th in the qualifying round.
Yulo told reporters that he woudn’t be where he is without the support of his Japanese coach Munehiro Kugimiya. Kugimiya invited Yulo to train with him in Tokyo after his stint with the Philippine national artistics gymnastics team ended.
Yulo also said he kept the Olympics in mind during the grueling practices he underwent in Tokyo since he was taken in by Kugimiya in 2016.
Camera: Cris Balleta
Edit: Cris Balleta
Text: Virgilio Galvez
Executive Producer/Publisher : Toshihiko Uriu
Executive Editor / Head, News Video Production: Virgilio Galvez
– Check our website: http://www.manila-shimbun.ph
– Check our website: http://www.manila-shimbun.com
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manila.shimbun
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/manilashimbun
– manila shimbuntv
- Taal Volcano island: 10 days after eruption
- Aftermath 2: Taal Volcano island a wasteland; total lockdown in high-risk areas enforced
- Aftermath: Taal Volcano eruption
- Statement of Philippine Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin, Jr. after the PH-Japan bilateral meeting.
- Statement of Japan’s Foreign Minister Motegi Toshimitsu after PH-Japan bilateral meeting
- Japanese foreign minister Motegi Toshimitsu to visit the Philippines
- Manila Hapons teach Tag Rugby at Manila Japanese School