August 23, 2019
The Philippine National Police ( PNP) on Friday said their “one-strike” policy against illegal gambling will remain even after President Rodrigo Duterte lifted his suspension on Small Town Lottery operations.
In an ambush interview with reporters at Camp Bagong Diwa, Police General Oscar Albayalde said they respect Duterte's decision.
“Of course, some may take advantage of it and make it or create a jueteng type operations or what we called bookies, he said.
“We have standing directive on different line units in different regions to go after illegal gambling,” Albayalde said.
In a text message to The Daily Manila Shimbun, Police Brigadier General Bernard Banac, PNP spokesperson, said they will continue to intensify their monitoring against any illegal number games, such as jueteng, in the guise of an STL.
“Even with the resumption of STL operations, the PNP will continue to intensify monitoring of any illegal numbers game such as jueteng that may run parallel with, or in the guise of STL,” he said.
He said they will not hesitate to arrest violators found committing illegal acts.
“PNP Chief, Police General Oscar Albayalde’s directive of one-strike policy against illegal gambling remains,” said Banac.
In a radio interview, Banac said the lifting of STL suspension helps them in finding illegal gambling activities.
“A... good thing with the lifting of suspension is that the people will not lose their jobs so no need for them to resort to illegal activities,” he said.
Last night, Malacanang said Duterte lifted his order suspending STL providing certain conditions are met. STL operations, along with lotto, were suspended on July 27 but lotto operations were ordered resumed on July 31.
They said the order takes effect will be after the publication of the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR). Ella Dionisio/DMS
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine