September 11, 2019
Malacanang clarified on Wednesday that President Rodrigo Duterte would not certify as urgent a bill seeking to protect the rights of the LGBT, but the anti-discrimination bill.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made the clarification after Duterte, in an interview by reporters Tuesday night in Malacanang, answered "Yes," when asked if he would certify as urgent the passage of the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression (SOGIE) Equality Bill.
"Actually, what he meant was an anti-discrimination law or bill, not the SOGIE Bill. Not that one," he said in an interview by CNN Philippines.
He explained that on Tuesday night, Duterte was actually citing the anti-discrimination ordinance being implemented in Davao City where he served as its mayor for over two decades.
"He was referring, in fact he said, I have that, we have that in Davao. So he was really specifically referring to that anti-discrimination law in Davao," said Panelo, who is also the chief presidential legal counsel.
On Tuesday night, Duterte cited that it was Davao City who first came out with the anti-discrimination ordinance.
"Gay, disabled. I was first (to have such law)," he said.
Panelo said there could be a problem if only the SOGIE bill would be passed into law.
"You cannot legislate for a particular class only. You're discriminating," he said.
Panelo added that the LGBT community should not be disappointed if Duterte would instead certify as urgent the anti-discrimination bill and not the SOGIE bill since the former covers all forms of discrimination, including those committed against the LGBT community.
"If it's an anti-discrimination bill, which is an enlarged version of whatever bill you have in mind, they (LGBT community) are included there," he explained.
Some groups, including the Christian denominations, have been opposing the SOGIE bill, which according to main proponent minority Senator Risa Hontiveros, aims to prevent and penalize discriminatory acts against a person's sexual orientation. Celerina Monte/DMS
- 「落ち着いて生活し、政府に協力して下さい」2.13ドゥテルテ大統領会見【マニラSTV・日本語放送】2020年2月13日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP14
- 台湾からの入国をフィリピン入管が禁止へ 【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】2020年2月11日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP12
- 2020年２月１０日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 武漢からの比人32人海外就労者(OFW)が帰国 ニュークラークで隔離始まる【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP11
- 2020年２月９日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 訪問米軍地位協定(VFA)破棄 武漢からの比人海外就労者(OFW)を乗せた政府チャーター便が到着 タール火山続報【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP10
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 【マニラ新聞TV日本語放送・ゲスト在比日本人美術家 山形敦子】EP09
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine