May 15, 2019
Tokyo--Japan's communications ministry plans to create some 10 billion 14-digit phone numbers starting with "020" for assignment mainly to devices with communication functions.
This is in response to an expected shortage of phone numbers.
The plan to introduce the new numbers by the end of 2021 at the latest was proposed at a recent meeting of a panel of experts. It was accepted by the three major Japanese mobile phone operators--NTT Docomo Inc. <9437>, KDDI Corp. <9433> and Softbank Corp. <9434>.
After hearing public comments, the ministry will draw up a report on the matter as early as June and make necessary preparations, including a ministerial ordinance, by the end of this year.
New numbers will be allocated to the major carriers early if they finish work to update their systems ahead of schedule.
Currently, 11-digit numbers starting with "090," "080" and "070" are used for mobile phones, including smartphones.
For Internet of Things devices, 11-digit numbers starting with "020" have been used since January 2017.
According to the ministry, about 32.6 million of the 80 million numbers starting with 020 had already been assigned to the major carriers as of the end of March this year.
With the commercialization of the fifth-generation, or 5G, superhigh-speed mobile communication format approaching, the 11-digit numbers are expected to run out as early as fiscal 2022. Jiji Press
- 「落ち着いて生活し、政府に協力して下さい」2.13ドゥテルテ大統領会見【マニラSTV・日本語放送】2020年2月13日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP14
- 台湾からの入国をフィリピン入管が禁止へ 【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】2020年2月11日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP12
- 2020年２月１０日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 武漢からの比人32人海外就労者(OFW)が帰国 ニュークラークで隔離始まる【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP11
- 2020年２月９日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 訪問米軍地位協定(VFA)破棄 武漢からの比人海外就労者(OFW)を乗せた政府チャーター便が到着 タール火山続報【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP10
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 【マニラ新聞TV日本語放送・ゲスト在比日本人美術家 山形敦子】EP09
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine