March 15, 2019
Seven persons, including the head of the Maute/ISIS Group and three soldiers, were killed while three were missing in an encounter in Lanao del Sur Thursday afternoon.
Besana said troops of 49th Infantry Battalion were scouring the area of Barangay Dinaigan, Tubaran when they engaged 10 Maute fighters at 5:04 pm.
“The gunfight ensured for an hour and 30 minutes, resulting in deaths of two Maute fighters, whose remains were retrieved from the encounter site by the engaged troops,” he said.
“Meanwhile, three soldiers died while three more are missing in action in yesterday’s gunfight,” he added.
Besana said remains of the slain soldiers were transported to Iligan City for proper disposition.
Despite the death of the three soldiers, Lt. General Arnel Dela Vega, Western Mindanao Command chief emphasized that government troops become more motivated to fight against enemies of the state.
“We console with the families of our departed comrades, who fought valiantly and paid the ultimate sacrifice. We lost not only brave warriors but comrades who served the nation with such devotion,” he said.
Besana added that troops also seized two caliber 5.56 rifles with an M 203 grenade launcher, a caliber .45 pistol, hand and rifle grenades, pieces of ammunition, and a bandolier during the operation. Robina Asido/DMS
- ACT-CIS, Bayan Muna, Ako Bicol, Cibac, Ang Probinsyano lead partylist race in PPCRV, Comelec, counts
- Comelec count trending to a 12-0 administration win in Senate race
- Unofficial count shows 12-0 administration victory in 2019 Senate race
- Filipinos trust Japan next to US: SWS survey
- Bayan Muna, Magsasaka, Gabriela, Ako Bicol, A Teacher Lead Partylist Frontrunners
- ARTIST TALKS: SALAMPAK sa KANTO
- Latest polls show opposition facing possible shutout in Senate race