March 15, 2019
Seven persons, including the head of the Maute/ISIS Group and three soldiers, were killed while three were missing in an encounter in Lanao del Sur Thursday afternoon.
Besana said troops of 49th Infantry Battalion were scouring the area of Barangay Dinaigan, Tubaran when they engaged 10 Maute fighters at 5:04 pm.
“The gunfight ensured for an hour and 30 minutes, resulting in deaths of two Maute fighters, whose remains were retrieved from the encounter site by the engaged troops,” he said.
“Meanwhile, three soldiers died while three more are missing in action in yesterday’s gunfight,” he added.
Besana said remains of the slain soldiers were transported to Iligan City for proper disposition.
Despite the death of the three soldiers, Lt. General Arnel Dela Vega, Western Mindanao Command chief emphasized that government troops become more motivated to fight against enemies of the state.
“We console with the families of our departed comrades, who fought valiantly and paid the ultimate sacrifice. We lost not only brave warriors but comrades who served the nation with such devotion,” he said.
Besana added that troops also seized two caliber 5.56 rifles with an M 203 grenade launcher, a caliber .45 pistol, hand and rifle grenades, pieces of ammunition, and a bandolier during the operation. Robina Asido/DMS
- CIF Kids Take Centerstage In UTSUWA Show
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.
- Duterte invites Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako to visit Philippines
- MARAWI: Two years after the war
- Comelec proclaims 12 Senate winners; Cynthia Villar tops race