July 23, 2018
While his administration is on its third year, President Rodrigo Duterte reiterated on Monday that his administration's war on illegal drugs would be "relentless and chilling."
In his third State of the Nation Address, Duterte said he could not be dissuaded by the critics, including the human rights groups and the church, on his intensified campaign against narcotics.
"Let me begin by putting it bluntly: the war against illegal drugs is far from over. Where before, the war resulted in the seizure of illegal drugs worth millions of pesos, today, they run [into] billions in peso value. I can only shudder at the harm that those drugs could have caused had they reached the streets of every province, city, municipality, barangay, and community throughout the country," he said in his 49-minute SONA at the House of Representatives in Quezon City.
"This is why the illegal drugs war will not be sidelined. Instead, it will be as relentless and chilling, if you will, as on the day it began," he said.
He said the drug dealers know fully well that their business is against the law.
Duterte again hit those who have been critical of the war on drugs.
"When illegal drug operations turn nasty and bloody, advocates of human rights lash at—and pillory—our law enforcers and this administration to no end. Sadly, I have yet to hear really howls of protest from the human rights advocates and church leaders against drug-lordism, drug dealing and drug pushing as forceful and vociferous as the ones directed against the alleged errant [law] enforcers in the fight against this social scourge," Duterte said.
"If you think that I can be dissuaded from continuing this fight because of [your] demonstrations, your protests, which I find, by the way, misdirected, then you got it all wrong. Your concern is human rights, mine is human lives," he stressed.
Duterte reiterated that because of illegal drugs, the lives of the youth were being wasted and families were destroyed.
For him, Duterte said human rights means giving Filipinos, especially those at the society’s fringes, a decent and dignified future through social and physical infrastructure necessary to better their lives.
Since Duterte assumed office in June 2016, over 4,000 people have been killed in his war on drugs. Celerina Monte/DMS
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第６試合 海洋会 対 りま組 Game 6
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第５試合 リビエララビッツ 対 ＭＪＳ.Game 5.
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第４試合 イビデンルーキーズ 対 マニラエンペラーズ Game 4
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第３試合 春光会 対 ＴＭレボリューション
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第２試合 三菱アドベンチャー 対 ホントにドリームズ
- 「まにら新聞TV」 第２５回日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント ２０１９年１０月６日（日）
- Japan Foreign Ministry Commends Ph Seafarer’s Union, Manning Group