September 11, 2019
President Rodrigo Duterte said if the Presidential Electoral Tribunal or the Supreme Court would decide that Vice President Leni Robredo is the rightful winner in the 2016 polls, it should be respected.
Duterte's statement came as SC Associate Justice Benjamin Caguioa submitted a report on the results of the recounting of ballots in three pilot provinces, which defeated vice presidential bet Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had selected.
The three pilot provinces cover 5,415 election precincts in Iloilo, Negros Occidental, and Camarines Sur.
It was not clear, however, what was the content of the reports.
Duterte said once the PET comes out with its report, this could still be challenged before the Supreme Court, which would either sustain or affirm the report.
"We will just follow the law. But if the law says that Robredo is the rightful occupant, then we'll just have to follow the final orders of the Electoral Tribunal or the Supreme Court. What is important here is that we follow the law," said Duterte, a lawyer by profession.
Marcos claimed he he was a victim of cheating in the vice presidential race. Celerina Monte/DMS
- Philippines To Highlight Lapu-Lapu’s Victory Over Magellan In 2021 Commemoration
- Duterte Declares General Yamashita’s Surrender A Public Holiday
- Atsuko Yamagata : On Being Visible And Invisible
- CIF Kids Take Centerstage In UTSUWA Show
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.