May 23, 2019
President Rodrigo Duterte has approved a bill renaming Compostela Valley as the province of Davao de Oro.
Republic Act No. 11297 signed on April 17 said the new name of the Mindanao province shall be subject to ratification by a majority of the votes cast by the qualified voters in a plebiscite to be conducted in the present province of Compostela Valley.
"The Commission on Elections (Comelec) shall conduct and supervise the plebiscite in compliance with Section 13 (g) of Republic Act No. 7160, as amended, otherwise known as the 'Local Government Code of 1991'," the law read.
The act shall take effect 15 days after its publication in the Official Gazette or in any newspaper of general circulation.
The local government of Compostela Valley pushed for the change of the province's name since it is the only province in XI (Davao Region), which has no Davao on its name.
Compostella Valley Governor Tyron Uy has expressed belief that renaming the province to Davao de Oro could help boost its economy as more investors are expected to come in. Celerina Monte/DMS
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.
- Duterte invites Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako to visit Philippines
- MARAWI: Two years after the war
- Comelec proclaims 12 Senate winners; Cynthia Villar tops race
- ACT-CIS, Bayan Muna, Ako Bicol, Cibac, Ang Probinsyano lead partylist race in PPCRV, Comelec, counts