DND, AFP to coordinate in enforcing Duterte order on foreign ships passing through Philippine waters
August 22, 2019
The Department of National Defense (DND) will coordinate with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on how to enforce the order of President Rodrigo Duterte requiring all foreign ships to secure clearance before passing the country's territorial waters.
"We will have to carefully work this out with the AFP, particularly the commands whose area of operations these fall under," Undersecretary Cardozo Luna, acting DND spokesman said Thursday.
"There needs to be (standard operating procedures) SOPs that clearly define our responses in compliance with existing Philippine and international laws," he added.
Duterte issued his directives following the incursions of Chinese warship at the territorial waters of the country.
It can be recalled that earlier this month the Western Command reported four Chinese Navy ships passed through at the Balabac Strait on June 17.
According to the Western Mindanao Command, five Chinese warships were also monitored passing at Sibutu Strait. Two incidents were reported on July and three others on August. Robina Asido/DMS
- Philippines To Highlight Lapu-Lapu’s Victory Over Magellan In 2021 Commemoration
- Duterte Declares General Yamashita’s Surrender A Public Holiday
- Atsuko Yamagata : On Being Visible And Invisible
- CIF Kids Take Centerstage In UTSUWA Show
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.