May 24, 2019
Tokyo--Yoshiharu Habu, a 48-year-old Japanese shogi master, Thursday tied the record number of victories in official professional games.
The ninth-dan holder marked his 1,433rd victory by defeating ninth-dan Koji Tanigawa, 57, in a league match to choose the challenger for the Oi title. Habu now reached the all-time high struck by deceased 15th Meijin Yasuharu Oyama.
Habu's next official shogi match is set for May 30.
After making a debut as the third professional junior high school shogi player in 1985, Habu became the first-ever player to monopolize all seven major titles in 1996 and qualified for the "eisei" lifetime holder of the seven titles in 2017.
He has so far won a record 99 tournament titles. Jiji Press
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.
- Duterte invites Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako to visit Philippines
- MARAWI: Two years after the war
- Comelec proclaims 12 Senate winners; Cynthia Villar tops race
- ACT-CIS, Bayan Muna, Ako Bicol, Cibac, Ang Probinsyano lead partylist race in PPCRV, Comelec, counts