October 10, 2018
Buenos Aires- The International Olympic Committee decided at a general meeting in Buenos Aires on Tuesday that a refugee team will be formed to participate in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, following the first such initiative in the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
"We will do our utmost to welcome refugee athletes and give them a home and a flag in the Olympic Village in Tokyo," IOC President Thomas Bach said in a statement.
At the Rio Olympics, the refugee team, with full financial backing from the IOC, consisted of a total of 10 swimming, judo and other athletes, including members originally from Syria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. They carried the Olympic flag at the opening ceremony.
Also at the general meeting, the IOC decided to officially recognize the International Sumo Federation, the president of which is Hidetoshi Tanaka, head of Japan's Nihon University. Jiji Press
- Stock index, peso close higher
- Award-winning documentary, Yield, shown at TIU Theater.
- Boracay reopens, gov’t imposes limits on use of island resort
- Bettors from Eastern Samar, Albay share P1.18 billion lotto prize
- Ultra Lotto 5/68 draw balloons to over P1.1-billion
- Inflation surges higher to 6.7 percent in September: PSA
- Japan troops, armor back Ph, US forces in Luzon exercise