March 20, 2019
Berlin- Former sumo wrestler Kaido Hoovelson from Estonia, who went by his ring name Baruto in Japan, has become a lawmaker in his home country.
Hoovelson, 34, said on Twitter on Sunday that he was elected to Estonia's parliament, although he initially lost in the March 3 poll as a runner-up.
According to the Estonian public broadcaster, a victorious candidate who belongs to the same party as Hoovelson declined to take up the parliamentary seat in order to stay on as a town mayor. The former sumo wrestler was given the seat as a result.
Hoovelson, who reached the second-highest rank of ozeki during his professional sumo career in Japan, said on Twitter that he will make efforts so as to serve as a bridge between Estonia and Japan. Jiji Press
- Latest polls show opposition facing possible shutout in Senate race
- ARTIST TALKS: Cherry Ann Fulo on DIWATABRUJA at Kanto Artist Run Space
- Latest polls show Duterte loyalists surging in Senate’s top 12
- MANILA gets a taste of Japanese healthy lifestyle
- Ms. Universe 2018 to boost PH tourism campaign
- Japan-funded Metro Manila Subway gets off the ground
- MILF chair confident of BOL ratification