June 18, 2019
Tokyo--Applications from members of the public for taking part in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics torch relay began on Monday.
Coca-Cola (Japan) Co. kicked off the application process, ahead of three other sponsors and Japanese prefectural committees.
On Monday, Coca-Cola and another sponsor, Nippon Life Insurance Co., held separate events in Tokyo.
"We athletes can achieve our best because of public support," said Yoshihide Kiryu, the second fastest 100-meter sprinter in Japan, said at the Nippon Life event. "Let's bring some excitement to the torch relay."
Nippon Life and the other two sponsors, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. <9432> and Toyota Motor Corp. <7203>, will start accepting applications on June 24. The prefectural committees will start on July 1. The applications deadline is Aug. 31.
Anyone born before April 1, 2008, will be able to apply up to five times, regardless of nationality and gender.
All applicants must be familiar with or be associated with the prefectures they hope to run in. Jiji Press
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine