June 18, 2019
Tokyo--Applications from members of the public for taking part in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics torch relay began on Monday.
Coca-Cola (Japan) Co. kicked off the application process, ahead of three other sponsors and Japanese prefectural committees.
On Monday, Coca-Cola and another sponsor, Nippon Life Insurance Co., held separate events in Tokyo.
"We athletes can achieve our best because of public support," said Yoshihide Kiryu, the second fastest 100-meter sprinter in Japan, said at the Nippon Life event. "Let's bring some excitement to the torch relay."
Nippon Life and the other two sponsors, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. <9432> and Toyota Motor Corp. <7203>, will start accepting applications on June 24. The prefectural committees will start on July 1. The applications deadline is Aug. 31.
Anyone born before April 1, 2008, will be able to apply up to five times, regardless of nationality and gender.
All applicants must be familiar with or be associated with the prefectures they hope to run in. Jiji Press
- Philippines To Highlight Lapu-Lapu’s Victory Over Magellan In 2021 Commemoration
- Duterte Declares General Yamashita’s Surrender A Public Holiday
- Atsuko Yamagata : On Being Visible And Invisible
- CIF Kids Take Centerstage In UTSUWA Show
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.