August 19, 2019
Malacanang distanced itself on Monday over the case of former youth commissioner Ronald Cardema before the Commission on Elections ( Comelec) and his word war with one of the poll body's commissioners.
In a press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said President Rodrigo Duterte respects the independence of the Comelec and Cardema's issue with Commissioner Rowena Guazon was between the two of them.
"Well, the case between Mr. Cardema and Commissioner Guanzon, I think it’s between the two of them. Moreover the President respects the independence of any constitutional body so the President will never, has not and will never interfere on any function of the commission, as well as other constitutional bodies," he said.
The Comelec has cancelled Cardema's nomination as a substitute for the Duterte Youth Partylist, which got a seat in the recent May elections, on the ground that the law requires that youth representatives must be 25 to 30 years old. Cardema is 34.
The case is still pending before the poll body.
But Cardema, who never gave up, had accused Guanzon of extortion from his group. Guanzon has been vocal against Cardema's nomination in the youth party-list group.
Panelo, also the chief presidential legal counsel, said if Cardema has evidence against anyone, he could just file the appropriate charges.
"The President as President will enforce the law. Now anyone who feels that the law has been violated is free to file appropriate charges against whomsoever and let the law takes its course," he said. Celerina Monte/DMS
- 「落ち着いて生活し、政府に協力して下さい」2.13ドゥテルテ大統領会見【マニラSTV・日本語放送】2020年2月13日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP14
- 台湾からの入国をフィリピン入管が禁止へ 【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】2020年2月11日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP12
- 2020年２月１０日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 武漢からの比人32人海外就労者(OFW)が帰国 ニュークラークで隔離始まる【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP11
- 2020年２月９日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 訪問米軍地位協定(VFA)破棄 武漢からの比人海外就労者(OFW)を乗せた政府チャーター便が到着 タール火山続報【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP10
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 【マニラ新聞TV日本語放送・ゲスト在比日本人美術家 山形敦子】EP09
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine