December 7, 2019
Lt. Gen. Gilbert Gapay formally assumed his post as the new commanding general of the Philippine Army during the change of command ceremony in Taguig City on Friday.
Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala, Army spokesman, said Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana presided over the ceremony that was also attended by Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Gen. Noel Clement.
Gapay replaced General Macairog Alberto who reached the mandatory retirement age of 56 Friday.
In his speech, Gapay vows to look after the morale of the Army troops.
“I have always adhered to two basic military guide posts of military commanders, the accomplishment of the mission and looking after the morale and welfare of my troops,” said Gapay as he also mentioned to “work towards the equipage” of the Army modernization program and enhancing its land power capabilities.
Zagala said Gapay also aims to put premium in the improvement of training systems, leaders development program, non-commissioned officers empowerment, reserve force development, and civilian human resource component strengthening.
“I will sustain your gains and ensure that what you have set out to do shall come into fruition,” Gapay said while addressing Alberto.
“The Philippine Army shall remain a highly capable force provider to the Armed Forces of the Philippines," he said.
Zagala said Gapay, who graduated at the top of the Philippine Military Academy “Sinagtala” Class of 1986, has been serving the Army for 33 years.
Prior to his appointment, he was assigned as the commander of the Southern Luzon Command and was also designated as the commander of the Mechanized Infantry Division, now the Armor “Pambato” Division, where he supported its various capability upgrades in terms of armor, aviation, air defense, and cyber security, Zagala said. Robina Asido/DMS
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine