August 21, 2019
A member of the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (Cafgu) was killed in an encounter with the alleged New People's Army (NPA) members in Compostela Valley on Tuesday.
1Lt. Amadeuz Celestial, civil military operations officer of the 60th Infantry Battalion, said the clash occured at the vicinity of Brgy. Ceboleda in Laak, Compostela Valley.
Celestial said slain was Cafgu Active Auxiliary (CAA) member Cherwyn Paragoya.
"Paragoya was assisting the 60th IB troops yesterday when they encountered an estimated 25 members of the CPP-NPA believed to be under Guerrilla Front 33 in the vicinity of Brgy. Ceboleda in Laak town," he said.
"The firefight lasted for over an hour with the Philippine Air Force (Tactical Operations Group 11) providing close-air support," he added.
Celestial said Paragoya a CAA for almost 10 years "was tasked to help maintain the peace and order situation in his locality; particularly forming part of their integrated territorial defense system and preventing the infiltration of insurgents in the community."
Lt. Col. Gilbert Ombos, commander of the 60th Infantry Battalion, said they are saddened by the death of Paragoya.
"Hearing the stories from his peers, he was no doubt instrumental in keeping the peace in his community. It’s heartbreaking that we should lose valuable life for something as futile and worthless as this insurgency," Ombos said.
"They ought to follow CAA Paragoya’s example and be the vanguards of peace in their respective communities,” he added. Robina Asido/DMS
- Philippines To Highlight Lapu-Lapu’s Victory Over Magellan In 2021 Commemoration
- Duterte Declares General Yamashita’s Surrender A Public Holiday
- Atsuko Yamagata : On Being Visible And Invisible
- CIF Kids Take Centerstage In UTSUWA Show
- INDIEPENDIENTE @ TIU Theater
- Manila Files Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over Boat Sinking
- RARA AVIS: Filmmaker Tikoy Aguiluz’s first solo exhibit at Kanto Gallery, Makati Central Square.