August 25, 2019
Moscow- The Japan Ground Self-Defense Force's Central Band performed in the Spasskaya Tower International Military Music Festival at Moscow's Red Square on Friday, becoming the first SDF band to join the event.
The GSDF band played music featuring Japanese traditional musical instruments, as well as classical and Russian folk music.
"I was very impressed by the cheers and excitement," Col. Takahiro Higuchi, head of the band, said after the performance. "I feel we served as a bridge of friendship between Japan and Russia."
Dressed up in kimono, Sgt. Michiko Matsunaga sang in Russian. "I was thrilled to be surrounded by the large audience in front of the candy-colored cathedral," she said.
The band's participation in the annual festival was agreed on at a "two-plus-two" meeting of the foreign and defense ministers of Japan and Russia in Tokyo in May.
This year, performances were given by military bands from 12 countries including North Korea. Jiji Press
- Aftermath: Taal Volcano eruption
- Statement of Philippine Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin, Jr. after the PH-Japan bilateral meeting.
- Statement of Japan’s Foreign Minister Motegi Toshimitsu after PH-Japan bilateral meeting
- Japanese foreign minister Motegi Toshimitsu to visit the Philippines
- Manila Hapons teach Tag Rugby at Manila Japanese School
- Philippines Set Record Medal Haul In 2019 SEA Games; Yulo Among Most Bemedalled Athletes
- Sarah Geronimo Brightens Up Japan Fiesta 2019 With “Tala”