September 22, 2019
Gifu- A haunted attraction in Gifu, central Japan, featuring "Kuchisake-onna" (slit mouth woman), is set to be ended on Monday, after having attracted some 85,000 visitors since 2012.
The city is believed to be the origin of the urban legend. In the late 1970s, the rumor of Kuchisake-onna started among local children, according to Yasuo Inagaki, 50, spokesman for the attraction.
The rumor then spread to elsewhere in the country, while becoming increasingly exaggerated. She was eventually rumored to eat people and slash them with a knife, Inagaki said.
The haunted attraction was launched by six Gifu natives, using a vacant lot in the Yanagase shopping street.
The attraction "brought new life to the deserted shopping avenue," said a woman who worked in a nearby building at the time.
The organizers, however, have decided to end the attraction now, due to difficulties juggling the business and their primary jobs.
"We hoped that people would visit our beloved Yanagase," said Inagaki. "We feel sad now, but we have to take care of our companies, as well."
They have been donating some of the attraction's revenues to the city government.
"I'm sad that the attraction, which has been an entertainment for me during summer breaks, will disappear," said Runa Sugimoto, 14, who visited there with her family on Tuesday. Jiji Press
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第３試合 春光会 対 ＴＭレボリューション
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第２試合 三菱アドベンチャー 対 ホントにドリームズ
- 「まにら新聞TV」 第２５回日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント ２０１９年１０月６日（日）
- Japan Foreign Ministry Commends Ph Seafarer’s Union, Manning Group
- Duterte Not Attending Emperor Naruhito’s Enthronement
- Philippines Deports Wanted Online Manga Pirate To Japan
- Philippines To Highlight Lapu-Lapu’s Victory Over Magellan In 2021 Commemoration