April 28, 2019
Tokyo- The industry ministry has started discussing with private companies the development of a theater district in Tokyo like Broadway in New York, in an effort to attract more foreign tourists to the capital.
In Broadway and London's West End, high-quality musicals and stage plays are performed in many theaters clustered near each other. This makes these areas major tourist hubs, keeping nearby dining establishments busy well into the night.
Meanwhile, theaters in Tokyo are few in number and scattered in location. Tokyo also lacks the high-quality entertainment found on stages in New York and London.
In addition, tourists have difficulty getting information about theatrical performances and, thus, cannot purchase tickets smoothly.
"No show-business model has been established in Tokyo," a person familiar with the matter said.
Under the "Tokyo Broadway" initiative, ways to develop facilities and sell tickets more easily will be considered with parties involved, including travel agencies, informed sources said.
There are also proposals to highlight Japanese traditional performances such as kabuki and "wadaiko" Japanese drums, they added. Jiji Press
- Aftermath: Taal Volcano eruption
- Statement of Philippine Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin, Jr. after the PH-Japan bilateral meeting.
- Statement of Japan’s Foreign Minister Motegi Toshimitsu after PH-Japan bilateral meeting
- Japanese foreign minister Motegi Toshimitsu to visit the Philippines
- Manila Hapons teach Tag Rugby at Manila Japanese School
- Philippines Set Record Medal Haul In 2019 SEA Games; Yulo Among Most Bemedalled Athletes
- Sarah Geronimo Brightens Up Japan Fiesta 2019 With “Tala”