November 22, 2018
Tokyo--Japanese two-way sensation Shohei Ohtani said Thursday that his rookie season in Major League Baseball was "good."
Speaking at a press conference in the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo, Ohtani, who came back to Japan on Wednesday, said he had a "fruitful" season with the Los Angeles Angels.
The 24-year-old, however, said he was not completely satisfied as he had to take a break from baseball after experiencing pain in his right elbow.
Ohtani underwent Tommy John surgery on Oct. 1 to repair the ulnar collateral ligament injury. He said he once thought that surgery should be avoided, but that he concluded that it was necessary to improve his performance.
He said he "can't pinpoint" when he will return to play. He is unlikely to return to the mound until 2020 but is likely to hit next season.
On participating in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Ohtani said it is not a matter that he could decide by himself.
"As (the 2020 Games) are held in Japan, it's only natural to think that I would want to take part," he said.
He left Japan's Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters last winter to play in MLB. While going 4-2 on the mound, he had a .285 batting average with 22 home runs and 61 RBIs.
Ohtani, who has been compared to Babe Ruth as a two-way player, won the 2018 American League Rookie of the Year award. Jiji Press
- 「落ち着いて生活し、政府に協力して下さい」2.13ドゥテルテ大統領会見【マニラSTV・日本語放送】2020年2月13日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP14
- 台湾からの入国をフィリピン入管が禁止へ 【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】2020年2月11日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP12
- 2020年２月１０日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 武漢からの比人32人海外就労者(OFW)が帰国 ニュークラークで隔離始まる【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP11
- 2020年２月９日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 訪問米軍地位協定(VFA)破棄 武漢からの比人海外就労者(OFW)を乗せた政府チャーター便が到着 タール火山続報【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP10
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 【マニラ新聞TV日本語放送・ゲスト在比日本人美術家 山形敦子】EP09
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine