September 27, 2019
New York--Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi and his South Korean counterpart, Kang Kyung-wha, agreed Thursday to continue dialogue between them and other diplomats of the two countries amid the deterioration in bilateral relations over wartime labor and other issues.
Motegi held talks with Kang in New York, meeting her for the first time since he became foreign minister in a cabinet reshuffle earlier this month.
The two countries stopped short of arranging a summit in New York between Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and South Korean President Moon Jae-in on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly session.
During their talks that lasted some 50 minutes, Motegi told Kang that the bilateral relationship has been tense, referring to South Korean top court rulings last year that ordered Japanese companies to pay compensation to South Koreans requisitioned to work for them during World War II.
Motegi also said he wants to continue communicating with Kang for resolving pending bilateral issues.
Kang said that she wants to continue dialogue with Motegi and bilateral talks through various diplomatic channels.
They agreed to boost efforts for constructing a future-oriented relationship between the two countries and affirmed the importance of cooperation in dealing with North Korean issues.
They also exchanged views on the wartime labor issue and tightened export control procedures between Japan and South Korea as well as Seoul's decision to scrap the bilateral General Security of Military Information Agreement, or GSOMIA, which allows the two countries to share defense secrets. Jiji Press
- Sarah Geronimo Brightens Up Japan Fiesta 2019 With “Tala”
- 『まにら新聞TV』 第25回日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年11月17日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 決勝戦 トゥーホイーラーズ 対 リマ組
- Sarah G. Sings Kilometro At Japan Fiesta 2019
- Japan Holds Fiesta To Attract More Filipino Tourists
- Watch and Listen: Nelson Gonzales and Tago Jazz Collective soon at JAZZ En
- 『まにら新聞TV』 第25回日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月27日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 準決勝 第2試合 ホントにドリームス 対 リマ組
- Watch And Listen: Sapporo-Based Japanese Guitarist Shohei Yamaki