August 24, 2019
Tokyo--Japan does not intend to take any countermeasures anytime soon, though it is frustrated by South Korea's decision to scrap a bilateral intelligence-sharing pact, sources familiar with the situation said.
Japanese officials Friday expressed displeasure with the South Korean decision to exit the General Security of Military Information Agreement, or GSOMIA. "Regrettably, South Korea is continuing actions to damage trust between the two countries," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters.
But the Japanese government thinks it would not be the right decision to act to worsen the situation as the United States is irritated by Seoul's move to disrupt security cooperation between the three countries to counter North Korean threats, the sources said.
Japan plans to take a restrained stance for the time being after the United States expressed strong concern and disappointment over the South Korean decision, the sources said.
Tokyo believes that public opinion in South Korea, now caught up in anti-Japan sentiment, may change if Japan does not fuel a mood of conflict and continues to take a quiet stance, the sources said.
"If public opinion changes, the approach of the administration of South Korean President Moon Jae-in will change," a senior Japanese government official said. "We should wait and see without making a fuss."
But waiting for a change in public opinion in South Korea means that there is no prospect for an immediate improvement in ties between the two countries.
A senior official of Abe's ruling Liberal Democratic Party said the prime minister should hold talks with Moon to break the diplomatic deadlock. Jiji Press
- 「落ち着いて生活し、政府に協力して下さい」2.13ドゥテルテ大統領会見【マニラSTV・日本語放送】2020年2月13日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP14
- 台湾からの入国をフィリピン入管が禁止へ 【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】2020年2月11日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP12
- 2020年２月１０日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 武漢からの比人32人海外就労者(OFW)が帰国 ニュークラークで隔離始まる【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP11
- 2020年２月９日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 訪問米軍地位協定(VFA)破棄 武漢からの比人海外就労者(OFW)を乗せた政府チャーター便が到着 タール火山続報【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP10
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 【マニラ新聞TV日本語放送・ゲスト在比日本人美術家 山形敦子】EP09
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine