July 18, 2019
Tokyo--Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike expressed Wednesday her hopes of leaving a barrier-free city as a legacy of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, about a year before the quadrennial sporting event.
"In 2035, one out of three people in Japan will be elderly, aged 65 or older. Barrier-free is an important perspective for urban development in Tokyo, where the number of elderly will increase," Koike said in an interview with Jiji Press.
The Tokyo metropolitan government has provided subsidies to accommodation facilities to promote barrier-free access.
"The Paralympics will be a good opportunity (for expanding barrier-free facilities) and legacies will surely remain," Koike said.
Meanwhile, traffic congestion is one of the challenges for the 2020 Games. The Tokyo government plans to take measures to relieve congestion during the event, including staggered work hours for metropolitan government workers.
For five days from Monday, Tokyo government workers will review the effectiveness of such measures, including by not using public transportation during morning rush hours.
"This is a chance to experience the big legacy of work style reform," Koike said, aiming to advance work style reforms through the Olympics.
As one of her achievements since taking office in 2016, Koike pointed to a decline in the number of children on waiting lists for nursery schools.
"The number of children (on such lists) stood at 8,466 (as of April 1, 2016), but the figure has decreased to some 3,700 over the last three years, meaning that nearly 5,000 women are now participating in society."
Koike will mark her three-year anniversary as Tokyo governor next month.
On whether she will run for a second term next year, Koike said, "What I must do now is invest for the future" as Tokyo governor. Jiji Press
- 「落ち着いて生活し、政府に協力して下さい」2.13ドゥテルテ大統領会見【マニラSTV・日本語放送】2020年2月13日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP14
- 台湾からの入国をフィリピン入管が禁止へ 【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】2020年2月11日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース EP12
- 2020年２月１０日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 武漢からの比人32人海外就労者(OFW)が帰国 ニュークラークで隔離始まる【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP11
- 2020年２月９日現在のフィリピン最新ニュース 訪問米軍地位協定(VFA)破棄 武漢からの比人海外就労者(OFW)を乗せた政府チャーター便が到着 タール火山続報【マニラ新聞TV・日本語放送】EP10
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 【マニラ新聞TV日本語放送・ゲスト在比日本人美術家 山形敦子】EP09
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine