October 18, 2019
Tokyo--The approval rate for Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's cabinet was nearly flat at 44.2 pct in October, a Jiji Press survey showed Friday.
Support rose a mere 1.1 percentage points from the previous month, while the disapproval rate slid 1.1 points to 33.0 pct, according to the survey conducted for four days through Monday.
The Oct. 1 consumption tax hike to 10 pct from 8 pct had limited impact on the support rate.
On a Japan-U.S. trade deal concluded recently, 29.3 pct of all respondents highly rated the agreement, while 30.9 pct did not, showing a divide in public opinion. Those who took neither position or had no idea stood at 39.8 pct.
Asked why they support the Abe cabinet, with multiple answers allowed, 20.3 pct said no other suitable politician can be found. Those citing his leadership stood at 13.0 pct, and 11.4 pct said they trust him.
Of those disapproving the cabinet, 16.2 pct said they have no expectations for it, 15.7 pct described Abe as untrustworthy, and 12.5 pct slammed the cabinet's policies.
The ruling Liberal Democratic Party earned an approval rate of 27.5 pct, up 1.6 points. The opposition Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan came next with 5.8 pct, up 1.7 points.
Komeito, the LDP's partner in the ruling coalition, secured 3.9 pct, the Japanese Communist Party 1.8 pct, and Nippon Ishin no Kai (Japan Innovation Party) 1.2 pct.
Support for the Democratic Party for the People and Reiwa Shinsengumi each stood at 0.6 pct. NHK kara Kokumin wo Mamoru To (the party to protect the people from Japan Broadcasting Corp., or NHK) saw a 0.2-pct support rate, while 0.1 pct backed the Social Democratic Party.
The interview survey was conducted with 2,000 people aged 18 or older across the country. Valid responses were received from 62.2 pct. Jiji Press
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine