February 8, 2019
Tokyo--The organizing committee of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics said Friday that it is likely to secure enough recycled metals to create medals for the quadrennial games.
The committee started to collect metals from end-of-life mobile phones and small home appliances from across Japan in April 2017. The campaign is set to end at the end of March, the committee said.
As of the end of October last year, the committee had collected 28.4 kilograms of gold, 3,500 kilograms of silver and 2,700 kilograms of bronze.
The amount of bronze has already reached the volume needed to create medals.
As for gold, 93.7 of the target amount has been collected, while 85.4 pct of the target has been gathered for silver. Both metals are expected to reach their necessary amounts by the end of the campaign.
The collection efforts have brought in more than five million mobile phones.
"We started out with worries that the metals might not reach the required amounts. We're grateful that people made positive efforts," said Masaaki Komiya, vice director-general of the committee.
A total of more than 5,000 medals are needed for the Tokyo Games. The manufacturing of medals began in January. Jiji Press
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第３試合 春光会 対 ＴＭレボリューション
- 「まにら新聞ＴＶ」 第25回マニラ日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント 2019年10月６日（日）（マニラ日本人学校グラウンド） 第２試合 三菱アドベンチャー 対 ホントにドリームズ
- 「まにら新聞TV」 第２５回日本人会ソフトボール大会決勝トーナメント ２０１９年１０月６日（日）
- Japan Foreign Ministry Commends Ph Seafarer’s Union, Manning Group
- Duterte Not Attending Emperor Naruhito’s Enthronement
- Philippines Deports Wanted Online Manga Pirate To Japan
- Philippines To Highlight Lapu-Lapu’s Victory Over Magellan In 2021 Commemoration