September 12, 2018
Tokyo- The organizing committee of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics said Wednesday it will start accepting applications for volunteers at the Games on Sept. 26.
The committee plans to recruit 80,000 volunteers. The application period will close in early December.
Successful applicants will be registered as volunteers after orientation meetings and interviews. Their activities will start in April 2020 at the earliest.
Candidates, who must be born on or before April 1, 2002, can choose up to three desired fields of service from nine options--guidance, events, mobility support, personal support, operational support, healthcare, technology, media and ceremonies.
In principle, volunteers will be required to work for at least 10 days and commit to a minimum of five consecutive working days. They will work eight hours a day, including breaks and waiting times.
The volunteers will be provided with uniforms, meals, insurance and expenses for traveling within Tokyo or other cities where venues are located. Volunteers who must travel for activities in areas away from their homes will have to pay for their own accommodation in and transportation to such places.
Separately on Sept. 26, the Tokyo metropolitan government will start recruiting 20,000 "city volunteers" who will offer transport and sightseeing information to travelers at airports, train stations and tourist destinations. It will accept applications through Dec. 5.
The city volunteers will work for at least five days, for about five hours a day. Jiji Press
- Award-winning documentary, Yield, shown at TIU Theater.
- Boracay reopens, gov’t imposes limits on use of island resort
- Bettors from Eastern Samar, Albay share P1.18 billion lotto prize
- Ultra Lotto 5/68 draw balloons to over P1.1-billion
- Inflation surges higher to 6.7 percent in September: PSA
- Japan troops, armor back Ph, US forces in Luzon exercise
- Inflation projected at 6.4 % in September: DOF